Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Orange Blossom Special

*Identities obscured to protect the gluttonous*

My vacations are primarily centered around FOOD and this trip to Florida was no exception. We knew we wanted to be in Daytona for the weekend but wanted to go somewhere else for a couple of days beforehand. So I searched Chowhound and on the basis of a single recommendation for an Indian restaurant, booked a hotel for two nights on the river. What a great decision! India's Restaurant is located in a strip mall ten miles from downtown but it is well worth the drive. I have never had Indian food this delicious. Granted, my experience has been limited but even the British boyfriend says it is as good as takeout Indian in London, which is high praise indeed for any Indian restaurant here in the states.

The Menu: (you are going to see some bad spelling in the following lists, hopefully you don't know the Indian language --- I clearly don't)


Cobra and Taj Majal Beer

Pappadums with three dipping sauces
Onion Bhaji
Pea and Potato Samosos


Lamb Biryani
Tandoori Chicken
Baigan Bhartha (maybe) - it was mashed, roasted eggplant with peas and potatoes

The tandoori chicken was a miss, very bland but the Baigan Bhartha is my new favorite, delicious eggplant dish. Eggplants are underrated and I wish I had a Tandoor oven to roast my eggplants whole like they do. One day! Inspired by this visit, Friday night is Indian night here on Johns Island. Are delicious Onion Bhaji's in my future???

1 comment:

  1. Bangan bharta, Bjarta Makni and etc tend to be our favorite Indian Dishes. Without a Tandoor you can get good smokey eggplant by tossing them into some hot coals on the grill. That's the advice I received from the owner of India Pavillion in Columbia. - Bill

    ReplyDelete