Sunday, August 30, 2009

Jobby the Jobster


Despite the fact that I have worked part-time at my current place of employment on and off for approximately 1 1/2 years, I have somehow not led, on my own, the store's signature class. Mainly because I've never been full-time and also mainly because it is scary. You have to talk for an hour and a half while cooking a full meal for 10 to 35 people. Then serve, pour wine and take questions. During this entire period, it is also helpful if you are some, but preferably all, of the following: informative, witty and interesting. It goes without saying that cooking nasty, burnt food is unacceptable.


I finally gave in and taught the class today. Since I wanted it to be perfect, I cooked everything at home earlier this week. Plus, I took pictures so you can see it all!


Menu: Pecan Encrusted Tilapia, Blackeyed Pea Succotash, Chocolate Chess Pie


At home, the tilapia and succotash were fantastic. The succotash consisted of peas, fresh corn, bacon, onion, garlic, tomatoes, okra and a little chicken stock and it was served over white rice. The tilapia was perfect with some of Mama Bev's relish. The chess pie crust was a little undercooked but the overall pie was still tasty, flavored with vanilla and bourbon. We ate them the next morning for breakfast with coffee.


In class, I used catfish and it was perfect. And this time, the pie crust was browned and super flaky and delicious. The succotash... not so much. It was definitely well cooked and everyone ate all the food on their plates. BUT somehow, in my nervousness, i never added salt or pepper. No salt!!!! Luckily, it had bacon which compensated somewhat. I was embarrassed but didn't say anything. Like Julia says, Never apologize for your food.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first class! I think it would be hard to cook, concentrate, be entertaining all at the same time. I also have a bad habit of improvising mid recipe.

    Mama Bev's relish sounds good....what is it made with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That menu sounds fabulous! I think it is interesting you substituted that tilapia for catfish. Which do you prefer? So nice for you to look after everyone's blood pressure by reducing the salt content in your food. :-) Congrats on teaching your first class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! As to the relish... I don't actually know. She didn't label it and I think it is cucumber and onion but it has a lot of spices so it has darkened. It could even be zucchini or have fruit. Tastes good though! As for the fish, I prefer the tilapia. I think it has a cleaner flavor. You could use any white flaky fish though. You just season the fish, dredge in flour, then egg wash, then a mixture of flour and ground pecans and fry. It works good for chicken too, maybe better actually, especially with a little honey drizzled on! (I could ramble on all day but I'll stop now.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you said the magic word: honey...I have yet to find something that it doesn't taste good on. : ) My hubby and I go through a couple of jars a week.

    ReplyDelete