Thursday, August 27, 2009

Get some sand in my shoes...



Jacksonsville: Part Deux

Thursday was a French-themed day in Jacksonville. Coffee for breakfast. Lunch was another Chowhound recommendation: The French Pantry. This spot was also located about 10 miles from the downtown area, off of good ol' I-95. This breakfast/lunch/dessert place is housed in a small addition to the front of a GIANT Bakery. We literally drove past it three times because it looks like a warehouse. It was well worth the confusion and angry Florida drivers. They bring you a huge bread plate, at lunch, with excellent olive oil and balsamic. The Boyfriend had the shrimp Po Boy, which wasn't fried so I don't think that counts, but it was very tasty and on their house made bread rolls. My choice was the standout: Bruschetta with Shrimp, Mozzarella, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Leeks with a huge salad in the middle. I will eat anything if it says it has leeks on it and this worked out particularly well.

Dinner at Orsay, once again about 10 miles from downtown, was the fantastic recommendation courtesy of Aunt MA's friend via Facebook. I had already decided on the Trois Fois Mousse before we even left Charleston and I was not disappointed. Chicken, Goose and Duck Liver Mousse were whipped until fluffy and served in a small pot with chives and sea salt. A glossy, perfect red onion marmalade with crisp toast points was on the side. If I have a last meal choice this would certainly be it. The Boyfriend had a med-rare hangar steak with Bernaise alongside Pommes Frites and homemade mustardy-mayonnaise. He may choose this as his last meal request as well. Sadly, no pictures were taken. But you can check out the cool dining room in this picture I "borrowed" off the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment