Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Schizophrenia in the Kitchen




Lobster for Dinner, Tater Tots for Breakfast




Yesterday was a long day. I taught the signature demonstration class at the store for a steadily growing class. The night before I had 12 people signed up, I walked in at 12:30 to a total of 18 and somehow by the time class started at 2:00, I had a grand total of 22, two of whom had signed up literally 5 minutes before it started. The mood was slightly chaotic to say the least. Luckily, the class went smoothly but of course, I now had 22 people to clean up behind. So done with most of the cleaning at 5, I moved out onto to retail floor as manager and store closer. Meanwhile, I had to keep ducking into the kitchen to finish up all the cleaning. And as always, people crowd into the store from 8-9, making closing at 9 tricky. Where do these people materialize from? I suspect they are leaving dinner and we are the only store open at 9. Luckily closing also went well and I was able to walk out the door at 9:45.




I always leave work fairly hungry and eat when I get home around 10:30. Last night I was particularly eager to return because I knew that the Boyfriend had lobsters at home! Why??? His employee went to Maine and brought us back two live lobsters. He steamed the big guys with celery, dill and shallots and we ate them with a really nice, salted melted butter which sells for about 10 bucks for a 1/2 pound. We only use it for special food and I do believe lobster counts. Normally, I like lobster but love crab. Lobster is a nice treat but I honestly find it slightly boring compared to crab. Apparently, I have just never had a good lobster because these two last night blew crab out of the water. The meat was SO flavorful and buttery on it's own. Dipping it into butter didn't make it seem buttery, just more intensely lobster flavored. With a nice arugula salad with heirloom tomatoes and some salt and vinegar chips, all washed down with a cold Peroni, this was a perfect meal. I had that giddy, falling in love with life feeling that always envelops me when I am surprised by the deliciousness and perfection of a particular meal. Life is good.




Then you try to go to bed and the damn cat won't stop attacking your hair. You can't catch it and by the time you do, you can't get back to sleep. So in the morning you wake up exhausted and starving and cook Tater Tots for breakfast. Yin and Yang. Thus is life.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...I don't think I have ever had lobster before but your description alone makes me want to try it.

    Frozen tater tots or do you make them? just curious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that! You definitely need to try it, I would reccomend a live lobster. The frozen ones don't have as much flavor.

    Definitely old frozen tots that have been sitting in my freezer. Bleh

    ReplyDelete