Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cheesecake for Breakfast


Eggs, Cream Cheese, Honey, Oranges...


Those all sound like breakfast items to me! And so today I had a Orange, Honey and Ricotta Cheesecake for breakfast. Thank you, Giada!


I have been wanting to make a cheesecake for a while now, having purchased my new springform pan as well as many packs of cream cheese. I haven't yet followed through because a whole cheesecake seems to require an occasion. One cheesecake for two people is a bit excessive. However, I found myself with a surplus of ricotta cheese left over from the aforementioned catering event. Normally, the only thing I use ricotta for is lasagna and homemade ravioli. We had lasagna last week and ravioli would not use up a large enough amount of the ricotta. I had heard of ricotta in cheesecakes so I did what any good blogger would do: I googled it. Giada's recipe showed up first. I have never had any trouble with any of Giada's recipes. They are usually fairly simple and straightforward and always work out well. So I went with her Honey and Ricotta cheesecake flavored with Orange Zest. Since I had graham crackers on hand, I used these for the crust instead of the biscotti called for in the recipe. I'm surprised she didn't use Amaretti Cookies, which seem to pop up in 9 out of 10 Giada recipes, because, you know, she's Italian.

As you can see, the cheesecake came out beautifully. I made it yesterday afternoon and since it needs to cool at least 8 hours, we had to wait until today to enjoy it. Cheesecake for breakfast? Why not, it's Saturday! I highly recommend this cheesecake to anyone who wants a lighter version of the classic. It is less sweet, due to the substitution of honey for sugar and also lighter in flavor since ricotta is in place of some of the heavy cream cheese. If I make it again, I will probably omit the Orange Zest and maybe add lime or lemon instead. This is just a personal preference as I do not particulary enjoy orange flavoring in creamy or chocolatey desserts. I think it gives it a slightly bitter taste. A lot of people love it though, and if you are one of those people, go for it. It does give the cheesecake little flecks of orange, which look beautiful. If you want to try it, the recipe is listed on the Food Network web site.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I like Giada too, but there is no way she eats everything she makes. She is too skinny to be a cook!

    ReplyDelete